This is a neat podcast that a friend of mine introduced me too. It is for a total newbie and talks about:
1. What kind of event to organize depending on the situation – Breakfast, Cocktail Hour/Happy Hour, Dinner
2. Whom to invite
3. How to get people to come when you’re still new to the scene and don’t know many people
4. How to “socially engineer” an event to make sure people have a good time
5. How a host’s priority should be that attendees extract a lot of value from the event
6. Lots of resources and other tips for organizing events
Check out the podcast here.